Saturday, May 26, 2012

Lorikeet Madness, Recipes and Benefits of a Plant Based Diet

 Happy Memorial Day Weekend! 


Lorikeet Madness

My first topic is not actually vegan related however it is nature related and this is my blog so I am going for it.
I went to the zoo with my daughter's class trip last Monday. I have mixed feelings about zoos however that is a whole different topic. At the zoo, we went into an area where lorikeets are able to fly around freely. You can purchase a stick with seeds on it for a buck. While we were hanging with the lorikeets, one landed on my shoulder. The kids thought this was pretty cool. I thought it was cool as well until he decided to take a small bite out of my neck! I shooed him away and thought it was a little strange without thinking much else of it. In the evening, I realized the lorikeet must have thought the mole on my neck was a seed. My mole was a little red and swollen. I called the dermatologist and made an appointment. Everyone involved from the receptionist to the nurse practitioner to the dermatologist had a wonderful time discussing my encounter. Apparently, no one has visited their office before due to a bird biting a mole. The dermatologist told me there is a bird disease called Lorikeet Madness that might make me grow feathers and later molt. He gave me the option of keeping an eye on my irritated mole or removing it. I opted to remove it and I am wondering if I did the right thing. I haven't been able to turn my neck when I am driving, let alone yoga. You put so much pressure on your neck and don't even realize it. I am actually getting mobility back now after a week. I am a little concerned about the Warrior Dash next week. I am not sure mud, more mud and beer will be good for my healing bird wound. I will keep you posted on my post op progress.

Recipes from the Smallest Vegan Dinner Party Ever
This past Friday, we had Sheri and Jenn over for dinner and a movie. I was making the food, Jenn was bringing the fire trucks, I mean wine and Sheri baked smores cookies! Jason helped with the food and made a last minute store run as well. We ate Chickpea Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries and my famous salad.
Dinner- the recipe for the burgers was from the 30 Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and the other  two were my own recipes. I am unable to follow a recipe exactly so you can read Colleen's however here is my interpretation.
Colleen's main ingredients are a can of chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of tahini, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon baking powder and lots of spices. Basically you are chopping the chickpeas up and then adding everything else, forming patties and then baking OR cooking on the stove depending on your preference. Once I read a recipe for ratios and general gist, I start to play with it. I didn't veer too far away from her recipe however I added shallots, sesame seeds and oats. I cooked them in the oven until brown and firm on one side and then turned then over.  We served them on a bun with red onion and tomato. They didn't want to stay together however they were pretty tasty and cruelty free.
There are thousands of sweet potato fry recipes however who needs them? I could roast vegetables in my sleep. Just about any vegetable is roasted the same; clean and cut, toss in olive oil, sesame seed and spice mixture (dill, pepper, oregano,etc make sure to change it slightly every time) and cook for 20 - 25 minutes on 350 checking after 15 minutes. There are a few exceptions like beets which need much longer to roast. I like the trial and error approach however you can look up optimal time and temp if you would prefer.
I have been making incredible salads for years thanks to my dad. He encouraged me to try different ingredients and go bigger and bigger every time. My typical salad starts with spinach and then includes most of the following: tomato, onion, apple, avocado, dried cranberries, cold grains, beans, raisins, cabbage, carrot, radish...Ok, you get the picture. I basically add any yummy veggie or plant based food that sounds good and is in my fridge.


Chickpea Burger, Sweet Potato Fries and Super Salad

Elena and Sheri digging in


Wine and Dessert- We had a red and white bottle of  Fire Truck which were consumed heavily. I believe a Cabernet and a Pinot Grigio however I could be wrong. Our dessert was a smore cookie that was incredible and was made as part of Sheri's blog, Rainbows of Vegan Love. Read more about it!!

Benefits the Thierbachs Have Noticed
Per Kelli's suggestion,  I wanted to list a few of the added perks that we noticed have come along with our food choices. The first benefit we noticed was weight loss, effortless weight loss. This makes sense as plant food is lower in calories and provides more nutrients with less food. Jason is ready for a smaller belt and he is wearing clothes he hasn't been able to quite some time. Similarly, there is no more of that full, bloated feeling after dinner. We have more energy as well.
Jason no longer has a problem with rosacea and Elena no longer has eczema. She has dealt with it her whole life! Apparently we will not have to deal with mosquito bites anymore.
Lastly, there is that satisfying feeling that you are living your life without compromising what you believe in even though the majority feels you are extreme, silly or a trendy nature type. The feeling grows stronger with each conversation you hear about a cookout or each commercial you see where a celebrity sports a milk mustache. Knowing that I am, that we are causing the least amount of harm to the animals, the Earth and ourselves has added a sense of calm and deeper unity to our family. We talk about it often and how it has changed our lives. My kid said it best the other night ..."Mom, I can't imagine ever going back to eating animal products". No baby, me neither.



Have a safe, healthful and cool Memorial Day!
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment